In this blog post, I'll talk about the book "Winning Now, Winning Later: How Companies Can Win in the Short Term While Investing for the Long Term" by David M. Cote, the former CEO of Honeywell. Anyone who wants to learn how to balance the competing needs of short-term success and long-term growth needs to read this book.
The book is based on what Cote did to turn Honeywell from a struggling group of companies into a world leader in many different fields. He talks about the most important rules that directed his leadership, like:
- "Facing reality": Cote talks about how he faced the hard truths about Honeywell's situation and culture and how he told them to all parties in a clear and honest way.
- "Investing for Growth": Cote talks about how he found and prioritized the best chances for growth, both organic and inorganic, and how he used resources to match.
- "Driving Productivity": Cote talks about how he put in place strict processes and measures to improve the organization's efficiency and quality.
- "Building a Winning Culture": Cote talks about how he created a culture of accountability, collaboration, innovation, and customer attention, as well as how he rewarded and developed his employees.
- "Thinking independently": Cote talks about how important it is to question conventional wisdom and avoid groupthink, and how he supported different points of view and healthy debate.
The book is full of stories and cases that show how Cote's ideas work in real life. He also talks about some of the biggest problems and crises he faced, like the financial crisis of 2008, the terrorist acts of 9/11, and the Covid-19 pandemic. He shows how he stayed strong and flexible in these situations while keeping true to his long-term goals.
The book isn't just a useful guide for business leaders; it's also an interesting story of how one person grew both personally and professionally. Cote talks about how he worked his way up from a plant floor to the corner office after dropping out of high school. He thinks about what he did wrong and what he learned from it, as well as how he changed as a leader over time.
"Winning Now, Winning Later" is a rare and honest look at what it takes to run a successful business in a world that is both complicated and changing. It shows how much Cote did at Honeywell and what he left behind. It is also a source of inspiration and advice for anyone who wants to do the same.
Buy this book at Amazon: https://amzn.to/41DU3wi
Playing the Summary:
𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐃, 𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐌 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄
𝐋𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭-𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐑𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬 (𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑): https://bit.ly/BestsellingRecommendedBooks2023
𝐃𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐨𝐨𝐥𝐬:
https://invideo.sjv.io/c/4117306/883681/12258 (Online video editor – easily make pro-quality videos)
https://partner.canva.com/c/4117306/619765/10068 (Free-to-use online graphic design tool: presentations, video, social media)
https://try.quillbot.com/9b888iu4nv9y (paraphrasing Tool - QuillBot AI)
https://vidiq.com/pp093 (tool to get more YouTube views)