Updated: Apr 29
Admiral William H. McRaven was a Navy SEAL for 37 years and is now retired. He is best known for leading the operation that killed Osama bin Laden in 2011 and for giving a viral commencement speech at the University of Texas in 2014, where he told the graduates to make their beds every morning to start their day with a small success. In his last book, Make Your Bed, he wrote more about this idea and talked about 10 leadership lessons he learned from his SEAL training and missions.
In his most recent book, The Wisdom of the Bullfrog, he shares more lessons and stories from his amazing career. He focuses on the traits and skills that make a good leader in any situation. The name of the Navy SEAL who has been on active duty the longest is used in the title of the book. When McRaven became head of the US Special Operations Command in 2011, he was given this award. He says that the bullfrog is not a pretty or flashy animal, but one that is strong and flexible and can live in different places and deal with different problems. He says that these are the qualities that leaders need to have in the world we live in now, which is complicated and unclear.
The book is split into 12 parts, and each one is about a different aspect of leadership, such as courage, humility, integrity, teamwork, communication, innovation, and resilience. Each chapter starts with a story from McRaven's life or work that shows the lesson he is trying to teach. For example, he talks about how he learned to face his fears when he had to jump out of a plane at night during his SEAL training, how he learned to admit his mistakes when he accidentally shot his friend during a training exercise, how he learned to trust his team when they carried out the bin Laden raid, and how he learned to deal with loss when he lost several friends in combat. Then, he gives some tips and advice on how to use these lessons in real life, whether at work, at home, or in the community.
The book is written in a way that is easy to understand and interesting. It has a mix of humor, emotion, and wise words. McRaven's stories are interesting and encouraging because they show his bravery, hard work, and kindness. He is not afraid to talk about his mistakes and weaknesses, and he is also not afraid to criticize some of the policies and choices he didn't agree with while he was in office. He also thanks his fellow SEALs and other service members who helped him along the way for their work and efforts. He shows his teachers, peers, subordinates, family, and friends respect and thanks for helping him become a better leader and person.
The book is both a memoir of a remarkable military career and a guide for anyone who wants to improve their leadership skills and make a positive change in the world. Even though McRaven's lessons are simple, they are not easy to follow because they take courage, humility, honesty, and persistence. He tells his readers to get out of their comfort zones, face their fears, learn from their mistakes, listen to others, think creatively, and keep going when things get hard. He also tells them to enjoy themselves along the way, just like he did with his bullfrog friends.
Here are five important things to learn from this book:
1. Leadership isn't about rank or place; it's about having an effect and having an influence. You can lead from anywhere if you have a clear vision, a strong character, and a willingness to help others.
2. You can't be a leader by yourself; it's a team sport. You have to earn the trust, respect, and loyalty of your following, peers, and people above you. You also need to give them the tools they need to take responsibility, act on their own, and learn from their mistakes.
3. Leadership is not a skill that stays the same, but one that changes. You need to be able to adjust to new situations, obstacles, and chances. You also need to keep getting feedback, training, and coaching to help you and your team get better.
4. Leadership is a path, not a place you get to at the end. You need to know what you want and where you're going, but you also need to be flexible and open-minded. You also need to find a good balance between your work and home life by taking care of your physical, mental, and emotional health.
5. Being a leader is not a luxury; it is a duty. You need to act in a way that is honest, fair, and brave. You also need to take responsibility for your actions and choices and hold others to the same standard.
The Wisdom of the Bullfrog is a short but strong book that will make anyone who reads it feel inspired and motivated. It shows how good of a leader and person Admiral William H. McRaven was. He is one of the most respected and beloved military leaders in our time.
Buy this book at Amazon: https://amzn.to/43RNHuP
Playing the Summary:
𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐃, 𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐌 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄
𝐋𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭-𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐑𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬 (𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑): https://bit.ly/BestsellingRecommendedBooks2023
𝐃𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐨𝐨𝐥𝐬:
https://invideo.sjv.io/c/4117306/883681/12258 (Online video editor – easily make pro-quality videos)
https://partner.canva.com/c/4117306/619765/10068 (Free-to-use online graphic design tool: presentations, video, social media)
https://try.quillbot.com/9b888iu4nv9y (paraphrasing Tool - QuillBot AI)