Updated: May 8
Daniel H. Pink's book “The Power of Regret: How Looking Backward Moves Us Forward” is a deep and thought-provoking look at the feeling of regret. Pink says that regret is not a bad feeling, but rather a useful tool that can help us learn from our mistakes and make better decisions in the future.
Pink starts by busting the myth about the "no regrets" way of living. He says that everyone has something they wish they hadn't done, and that's fine. In fact, guilt can be a strong reason to do something different. When we feel bad about something, it means we care about something we lost or didn't get. This can give us the motivation to make better decisions in the future.
Pink then talks about the four biggest mistakes he has found. These mistakes are:
- Foundation regrets: are regrets that we didn't put money into our future selves. They include things like not getting a good education, not saving money, and not taking care of our health.
- Relational regrets: These are things we wish we could change about our ties with other people. They include things like not spending enough time with loved ones, not being honest with them, and not accepting them.
- Aspirational regrets: These are regrets that we didn't reach our goals. Some of them are not going after our dreams, not taking risks, and not living life to the best.
- Moral regrets: These are bad things we've done that we know we shouldn't have. They include hurting other people, breaking promises, or giving up what we believe in.
Pink says that each of these things can be a good way to learn something. If we can figure out why we feel bad about something, we can learn to make better decisions in the future.
For example, if we wish we had spent more time with our loved ones, we can learn to do so in the future. If we wish we had taken more chances, we can learn to be braver in the future. And if we hurt someone and feel bad about it, we can learn to be kinder in the future.
Pink also says that sorrow can help us live lives that have more meaning. If we feel bad about something, it means we care about it. This can help us put our attention on the things that really matter to us.
For example, if we wish we had followed our dreams, we can learn to pay more attention to them in the future. If we regret not living our lives to the best, we can learn to make the most of every day in the future.
The Power of Regret is a well-written book that makes you think and gives you a new way to look at regret. Pink's ideas can help anyone who wants to learn from their mistakes and live a happier life.
Here are some of the book's most important lessons:
- Regret is a good and normal feeling.
- Regret can be a strong reason to make a change.
- Everyone has four main regrets: foundational regrets, social regrets, aspirational regrets, and moral regrets.
- Each of these mistakes can be a good way to learn something.
- If we can figure out why we feel bad about something, we can learn to make better decisions in the future.
Anyone who wants to learn more about this important feeling should read “The Power of Regret”. It's a book you'll remember long after you've finished reading it.
Pink lists four main regrets, but I would like to add a fifth: regretting the things we didn't do. This regret can be especially strong because it can make you feel like you missed chances and didn't live up to your full potential.
For instance, one of my friends wishes she had gone on more trips when she was younger. Now that she has a family and a full-time job, it's hard for her to go on long trips. She often feels like she is missing out on the world because of this.
Another friend wishes she had taken more job risks. She has a job she doesn't like, but she doesn't want to quit because she's afraid she won't be able to find something better. Because of this, she feels stuck and unhappy.
These are only two examples of how sorrow can change our lives. Regret can stop us from living our best lives if we're not careful. But if we can learn to accept regret and use it as a chance to learn, it can help us live happier, more worthwhile lives.
Buy this book at Amazon: https://amzn.to/41RbIQM
Playing the Summary:
𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐃, 𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐌 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄
𝐋𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭-𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐑𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬 (𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑): https://bit.ly/BestsellingRecommendedBooks2023
𝐃𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐨𝐨𝐥𝐬:
https://invideo.sjv.io/c/4117306/883681/12258 (Online video editor – easily make pro-quality videos)
https://partner.canva.com/c/4117306/619765/10068 (Free-to-use online graphic design tool: presentations, video, social media)
https://try.quillbot.com/9b888iu4nv9y (paraphrasing Tool - QuillBot AI)
https://vidiq.com/pp093 (tool to get more YouTube views)