Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising is a form of online marketing that allows you to display your ads on search engines, social media platforms, and other websites. You only pay when someone clicks on your ad, hence the name PPC.
Remarketing, also known as retargeting, is a strategy that lets you show your ads to people who have already visited your website or interacted with your brand online. Remarketing helps you reconnect with your potential customers and remind them of your products or services.
In this blog post, we will explain how PPC advertising and remarketing work, why they are important for your business, and how to get started with them.
How PPC advertising works
PPC advertising works by bidding on keywords or phrases that are relevant to your target audience and your business goals. When someone searches for those keywords on a search engine like Google or Bing, your ad may appear on the top or bottom of the search results page, depending on your bid amount and quality score.
Alternatively, you can also display your ads on other websites that are part of the Google Display Network or the Microsoft Audience Network. These are networks of websites that have agreed to show ads from Google or Microsoft advertisers. You can choose to show your ads based on the topics, interests, demographics, or behaviors of the website visitors.
How remarketing works
Remarketing works by using cookies or pixels to track the online activity of your website visitors or app users. You can then create remarketing lists based on the actions they took on your website or app, such as browsing a product category, adding an item to the cart, or completing a purchase.
You can then use these remarketing lists to show your ads to those people when they visit other websites or apps that are part of the same ad network as your PPC campaign. For example, if someone visited your website and viewed a pair of shoes, you can show them an ad for those shoes when they browse a fashion blog or a social media platform.
Why PPC advertising and remarketing are important
PPC advertising and remarketing are important for several reasons:
- They help you reach your target audience at the right time and place. You can show your ads to people who are actively looking for your products or services, or who have already shown interest in them.
- They help you increase your brand awareness and recognition. You can expose your brand name and logo to potential customers who may not be familiar with you yet.
- They help you generate more traffic, leads, and sales. You can drive more qualified visitors to your website or landing page, capture their contact information, and persuade them to buy from you.
- They help you optimize your marketing budget and ROI. You can control how much you spend on each click, set a maximum daily or monthly budget, and measure the performance of each ad and keyword.
How to get started with PPC advertising and remarketing
To get started with PPC advertising and remarketing, you need to follow these steps:
- Choose an ad platform. The most popular ones are Google Ads and Microsoft Advertising, but there are also other options like Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, Twitter Ads, LinkedIn Ads, etc.
- Create an ad account. You need to sign up for an account with the ad platform of your choice and provide some basic information about your business and billing details.
- Set up a campaign. You need to choose a campaign goal (such as traffic, leads, sales, etc.), a campaign name, a campaign budget, and a campaign duration.
- Create ad groups. You need to organize your ads into groups based on the keywords or audiences you want to target. Each ad group should have a clear theme and a relevant landing page.
- Create ads. You need to write compelling ad copy that matches the keywords or audiences you are targeting. You also need to choose an image or a video that showcases your product or service.
- Create remarketing lists. You need to install a tracking code (such as Google Analytics) on your website or app and create remarketing lists based on the actions of your visitors or users.
- Create remarketing campaigns. You need to choose an ad platform that supports remarketing (such as Google Ads or Facebook Ads), create a remarketing campaign with the same steps as above, and select the remarketing lists you want to target.
PPC advertising and remarketing are powerful online marketing strategies that can help you grow your business online. They allow you to reach your target audience at the right time and place, increase your brand awareness and recognition, generate more traffic, leads, and sales, and optimize your marketing budget and ROI.