Updated: Apr 16
If you are looking for a book that can help you improve your leadership skills and reach your full potential, you might want to check out "The 5 Levels of Leadership (10th Anniversary Edition): Proven Steps to Maximize Your Potential" by John C. Maxwell and Center Street. This book is a revised and updated version of the best-selling classic that has sold more than 24 million copies worldwide.
In this book, Maxwell explains that leadership is not a matter of having a certain job or title, but a matter of influence and impact. He identifies five levels of leadership that every effective leader achieves, and shows you how to master each level and rise up to the next. The five levels are:
1. Position: People follow you because they have to. This is the lowest level of leadership, where you rely on your authority and position to get things done. You have followers, but not necessarily loyal or committed ones. To move up from this level, you need to build relationships and trust with your people.
2. Permission: People follow you because they want to. This is the level where you start to influence others through your character and attitude. You have followers who like you and respect you. You listen to them, care for them, and empower them. To move up from this level, you need to produce results and add value to your organization.
3. Production: People follow you because of what you have done for the organization. This is the level where you demonstrate your competence and credibility as a leader. You have followers who admire you and appreciate you. You set goals, solve problems, and achieve outcomes. To move up from this level, you need to develop other leaders and help them grow.
4. People Development: People follow you because of what you have done for them personally. This is the level where you multiply your influence and impact by investing in others. You have followers who are loyal and committed to you. You mentor them, coach them, and inspire them. To move up from this level, you need to create a legacy and transcend your position.
5. Pinnacle: People follow you because of who you are and what you represent. This is the highest level of leadership, where you become a legend and an icon in your field. You have followers who are devoted and dedicated to you. You model excellence, integrity, and generosity. You extend your influence beyond your reach and time.
Image Source: expertprogrammanagement
Each level of leadership has its own challenges, benefits, and best practices. Maxwell provides practical advice and examples on how to navigate each level and overcome common pitfalls. He also shares stories and insights from his own leadership journey and from other successful leaders he has learned from.
This book is not only informative but also inspiring and engaging. Maxwell writes with humor, wisdom, and passion. He challenges you to assess your current level of leadership and to aspire for higher levels. He also encourages you to apply what you learn and to share it with others.
Here are some important things I learned from the book:
- Position is the first level of leadership, where people have to follow you. This is the lowest level of leadership, where you get things done by using your title and power. You don't have much power or trust with your people, so you don't get very far.
- People follow you because they want to, which is the second level of leadership. This is where you start to get to know your fans and show that you care about them as people. You listen to what they want and worry about and give them the power to make choices. You have more power and trust among your fans, which makes your results better.
- People follow you because of what you've done for the company. This is the third level of leadership. This is where you show that you are qualified and trustworthy as a boss and that you can get things done. You make goals and standards and hold yourself and others responsible for meeting them. You give your followers motivation and inspiration, and you build a positive culture of excellence. You have even more power and trust among your fans, and the things you do make a big difference.
- People will follow you because of what you've done for them. This is the fourth level of leadership. This is where you help your people become leaders themselves by investing in their growth and potential. You teach them and guide them, and you give them chances and tasks. You give tasks to other people, which increases your power and creates a foundation of leaders. People who follow you listen to you and trust you, and the effects of what you do last.
- People follow you because of who you are and what you stand for. This is the fifth level of leadership. This is the highest level of leadership, where you have reached a level of excellence and impact that is very difficult to reach. You're a role model and a leader with a clear vision, and you leave a lasting impression on the people who follow you and beyond. People who follow you respect and stick with you, and the results you get are amazing.
Anyone who wants to become a better leader can use The 5 Levels of Leadership as a guide. It helps you figure out how good a leader you are now, what your skills and weaknesses are, and how to move up the levels. It also teaches you how to lead different kinds of people and how to change your style to fit different scenarios. If you follow the ideas and practices in the book, you can be the best leader you can be and make the world a better place.
If you are interested in reading this book, you can find it on Amazon using the following links:
Best selling recommended books from John C. Maxwell:
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You. This book is a classic guide to effective leadership that has sold over 2 million copies worldwide. It outlines 21 timeless principles that can help anyone become a more influential and respected leader.
- The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential. This book is a personal development manual that teaches you how to grow yourself and achieve your goals. It covers 15 essential laws that will help you unlock your full potential and live a fulfilling life.
- Developing the Leader Within You 2.0. This book is an updated version of Maxwell's best-selling book that launched his leadership career. It provides a comprehensive framework for becoming a successful leader, from self-awareness and character to vision and influence.
- How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life. This book is a concise and practical guide to improving your thinking skills and habits. It reveals 11 types of thinking that can help you solve problems, make decisions, and create new opportunities.
- No Limits: Blow the CAP Off Your Capacity. This book is a motivational and empowering book that challenges you to go beyond your perceived limitations and reach your full potential. It shows you how to identify and increase your capacity in three key areas: skills, energy, and creativity.